Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Slow Cooker Carnitas


I have been cooking up a storm the past few days trying to find the perfect recipe to start off this project.  The dinners of the past couple of nights have been less than satisfactory.  Tonight's dinner, however, was fantastic.  I pinned this recipe on Pinterest some time back and am glad I waited until now to make it.  The pork was perfectly tender and full of amazing flavor.  Husband and I found ourselves picking at the meat while I finished preparing the sides.
    
  You always hear the phrase that low and slow is best for meats.  I have found that is true for the oven but not necessarily for a slow cooker.  I believe that the opposite is best for tough meats like pork or beef: cook on high for 4-5 hours.  I am always rewarded with a tender, juicy entree and this pork was no exception.   

This recipe can be found at allrecipes.com.  It is very simple and straight forward. Beware, it makes a lot of meat.  Husband and I had two burritos each and had enough meat left over for at least 2 more meals.  Throw on some fresh pico de gallo and guacamole and you have a very filling meal.


Ingredients:

1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (4 lb) boneless pork shoulder roast
2 bay leaves
2 c chicken broth




Directions:

1.  Mix spices together (except bay leaves) and rub over the entire roast. 

2. Place the bay leaves on the bottom of the crock pot and set the roast on top.

3. Pour the chicken broth around the roast being careful not to wash the seasonings off.

4. Set the crockpot to High and cook for 4-6 hours.

5. Remove the roast from the slow cooker.  Mine fell apart as I pulled it out- always a good sign.

6. Shred the meat, place into flour tortillas, add whatever toppings you wish, and eat up!



This recipe is a keeper for our house.  The spices smell amazing as you rub them in to the meat and even better during the cooking process.  I had to contain myself from eating the whole roast by myself.  The recipe at the link above claims that this also makes a great pulled pork sandwich by adding your favorite BBQ sauce after cooking and piling high on a bun. Yum!


2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. A good alternative to regular beef roast with potatoes and carrots. Zach is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete