Monday, November 25, 2013

Herb Crusted Chicken with Parmesan Cream Sauce

I admit it, I love eating at Olive Garden. I know it isn't authentic Italian food, but I really don't care.  How can anyone not like free never ending breadsticks and salad with their meal?  I generally order dishes with a cream sauce as opposed to a tomato based sauce.  I can make tomato sauces all day at home but cream based ones always seem to be beyond me.  That is, until I found this recipe.  As far as I am concerned, this beats eating at any Italian restaurant.  I take that back.  There was a mom and pop Italian joint in town until recently that made the best lobster stuffed ravioli I have ever had the pleasure of eating.  I highly doubt I will ever be able to recreate that amazing dish.  This herbed chicken, though, is an excellent way to cure cravings for Italian food and keeps my bank account happy.  I have pictured the chicken and sauce over pasta, but it works equally well on top of mashed potatoes or on its own.  The sauce can also be made by itself for a wonderful twist on macaroni and cheese.  Add less broth for a thicker sauce.

Ingredients

4 chicken thighs/breasts pounded thin
1/2 c milk
1 c Italian breadcrumbs
2 tsp 'Perfect Pinch' Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper Seasoning
1 tsp dried chives
3 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 c Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp basil
Pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, Perfect Pinch seasoning, and chives in a bowl.
3. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
4. Melt butter over medium heat.  Cook chicken until brown on both sides. Set used pan aside.
5. Place chicken in a baking dish and bake until thoroughly cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
6. While chicken bakes, saute garlic over medium high heat in used chicken pan.
7. Add broth and bring to a boil. Scrape bottom of pan while stirring to release any chicken bits.
8. Add cream and tomatoes and return to a boil.
9. Reduce heat to medium low, add Parmesan, basil, and pepper.  Stir until thick and hot (around 5 minutes).
10. Serve sauce over chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment