Friday, October 4, 2013

Mexican Pizza

Have you ever moved away from your home area and found that some of your favorite foods are not available at your new grocers? That happened to me when my husband joined the Army. We moved from Texas, where all my favorite foods are plentiful, to Kansas, where you can't find a catfish restaurant or a Mom and Pop BBQ joint (assuming you aren't in Kansas City) to satisfy your cravings.  That means I have to get creative. One of our favorite lazy meals is the Mexican Pizza by Red Baron. I have only ever found it at home and most of the grocers in my hometown carry it or a competitor's version.  I have been craving a hot slice of that tasty pizza lately and decided to come up with my own version.  After 1 bite, I may never buy another frozen pizza again!

For this pizza, I made my own crust (recipe here).  It was incredibly easy and far tastier than anything store bough or delivered.  The crust is a basic pizza dough and can be used for any pizza or calzone.  What are your favorite toppings?


Ingredients

1 pizza dough (recipe) 1/2 can refried beans
1/4 c salsa
1 1/2 c cheddar cheese, divided
3/4 lb hamburger
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 onion, diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small can black olives, sliced
1 handful tortilla chips, lightly crushed
sour cream and guacamole for garnish

Directions

1. Brown hamburger with onion, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and chili powder.

2. Prepare pizza dough on a pan.

3. Mix refried beans with salsa. Spread over prepared dough.

4. Sprinkle on 1 c cheddar cheese.

5. Top with hamburger, tomatoes, olives, and chips. Sprinkle 1/2 c cheddar cheese on top.

6. Bake at 500 for 8-10 minutes or until outer edges turn a golden brown.

7. Garnish with favorite taco condiments and enjoy.

I'm curious to know: Of the recipes that I have posted so far, what has been your favorite? Post your answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment