Friday, September 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo

I love gumbo. Especially when it has sausage AND shrimp in it. It is filling, cheap, and so tasty. I know it is a Cajun dish by nature, but it is so prevalent in Texas cooking that it always reminds me of my home state.  We had friends over for dinner tonight and one (a native Texan) had never had this wonderful dish before! By the end of the meal, he was grilling me on the techniques and ingredients used.

I was hesitant about this recipe before I made it.  It didn't call for okra (whoever heard of gumbo without okra?!), had an odd way of making roux that I had never tried, and has minimal spices.  I was completely wrong to judge! The flavors were perfect and blended together so well.  This is a crock pot recipe but only takes 4.5-5 hours on low since the sausage is precooked and the shrimp takes very little time to be done. The majority of the time is spent softening in the okra and letting the flavors meld together.

Ingredients

1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
1 1/4 c chicken broth
1/4 c flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb smoked sausage (I used andouille), cut into small pieces
1 lb shrimp, raw (peeled and deveined)
1/2 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne, to taste
hot cooked rice

Directions

1. Combine tomatoes and broth in slow cooker.

2. Heat flour in a dry skillet on high until flour begins to brown.  Stir to completely brown and slowly add in oil while whisking.  Add enough oil to create a smooth , thick roux. Stir into tomato mixture in crock pot.

3. Add sausage, onion, pepper, and spices. Stir and cook on low for 3.5 hours.

4. Add shrimp and cook 1 hour.

5. Serve over rice.


Do you agree with me? Is okra a necessity for good gumbo? Or do you find the vegetable to be too slimy for your liking?

No comments:

Post a Comment